Image Ref : DRA 2658.tif

Post Office, Lustleigh

Lustleigh's new post office opened about 1902. In the 1911 Census, William Henry Bartlett, born about 1859 in Ashton, is recorded as the sub-postmaster; the name 'Bartlett' can be seen over the door of the building in the centre of the image. (In April 2024, a red postbox was visible in the left-hand wall of the central building; the post office was opposite.) Bartlett's wife Rhoda Ann, born around 1865 in Lustleigh, also worked in the business and his daughter Dorothy Winneford, born around 1888 in Bovey Tracey, was a postal assistant. The family's address was given as Post Office, Stable House, Lustleigh on the census form. To the left of this image, the building known as 'Stable House Cottage' (with two others as part of the record) was listed as Grade II by English Heritage (later Historic England) on 3 July 1986. The listing opens by saying: 'Range containing a house and shop with 2 cottages; possible a single house originally, but the cottages may have been an early addition intended as a separate dwelling or dwellings. Late C16 or C17, with late C19 or early C20 additions.' It closes by saying: 'The building seems to have been called Staple Cottage in 1615. Source: information from Mr Jones of Stable House, based on the Wadham manorial survey in Somerset Record Office and on talks with older residents of Lustleigh.' DRA 3350 LL 033