Image Ref : RG 0129.tif

Victoria Street and Mission Hall, 1930s

This is one of two black & white prints showing the back of Victoria Street, with the Mission Hall on the right (with arched window). The Totnes Times reported on 28 June 1890: "The Lord Bishop of Exeter laid the cornerstone of the new Mission Hall being erected in Victoria Street in connection with the parish church of St Mary. The building will provide accommodation for about 400 persons. Plain in character, the material used was local lime stone with Bathstone dressing. Dimensions 60ft x 28ft and beside a large Mission Hall, a class-room will be provided. The contractors are Messrs Brook and Ash of Totnes who prepared the plans. The building and furnishing will cost about £400 plus another £100 for the site." A list of attendees and the service followed. The ceremony was performed with a silver trowel with ivory handle. The blade bore the words: "Totnes Church Mission Hall June 23rd 1890." Under the stone was placed a bottle containing the latest editions of the Totnes Times and the Western Morning News. The silver trowel was made and inscribed by Mr S. E. Burrow, jeweller, Totnes. Mr J.J. Brinley, photographer, Totnes, took views of the platform during the ceremony. The Mission Hall later became a private house and, by 2026, was known as Victoria House. Ref B2/E1