Image Ref : ML 0003.tif

Church Close c1900

Looking down Church Close toward Priory Avenue. One of the two little girls on the left is Miss Binmore. "Others in the picture are Mr. James Henry Cowling who later was foreman at F.J. Reeves Timber Yard and also possibly three of his four sisters, Mrs. William A. Clark (née Ethel Cowling), Mrs. William G.H. Vigar (née Annie Bickford), and Mrs. Billy Elliot (née Gertrude Cowling). It was actually Billy Elliot who owned Dartside Garage." Edited by Angela Richardson daughter of Margaret Cowling. Totnes Church School on left. Church on right, note wall where side entrance now is c1900. In 1907 three cottages adjoining the churchyard were purchased - pulled down and space given over to the churchyard. Nice dwarf wall and iron railings down part of Church Close (was called Church Lane then!). Therefore this view before 1907 as the houses are still on the right hand side, Jan 1907 - the cottages adjoining the churchyard have always been a disfigurement to the Church especially as the tenants have used the corner of the churchyard as a drying ground. One of the cottages is 7 feet from the tower. Pulling them down would also improve the approach to the Guildhall especially if Church Lane were widened a few feet. It is intended to buy the cottages at £260 and pull them down. The Highways Committee recommended that in future Church-lane be known as Church Close (WT 30.01.1913) DP BOX 3